Video answer: How to light the pilot on a gas fireplace
Top best answers to the question «How to turn on gas fireplace pilot light is off»
Turning off your pilot light is a simple process that will save you both energy and money. All you have to do is open the front of your fireplace, turn the Pilot knob to “off,” and then turn your gas shutoff valve to the “off” position as well.
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «How to turn on gas fireplace pilot light is off?» often ask the following questions:
👉 How to turn pilot light off gas fireplace?
- Press and hold the gas control button while holding the end of a lit match or lighter on the end of the pilot tube. If done correctly, the pilot should take off as soon as the flame is close enough. Press and hold the pilot button for approximately 20 seconds to heat the thermocouple , then release it. How do I know if my gas fireplace is working?
- Why you should turn off your gas fireplace pilot light?
- Should you turn off the pilot light on a gas fireplace?
- Lighting pilot light on gas fireplace?
👉 How to turn down the pilot light on gas fireplace?
Lighting the pilot on a gas fireplace.For Your Safety, Read Before Lighting:A. This fireplace has a pilot which must be lit manually. When lighting the pilot...
- How to light your gas fireplace pilot light?
- How do you turn on the pilot light on a gas fireplace?
- Should i leave pilot light gas fireplace?
👉 Is it safe to turn off gas fireplace pilot light?
Your Utility Bill Perhaps the most important reason to turn off gas fireplace pilot light in summer is because of the money and energy you will be saving. If you leave the pilot light on during the summer it is simply sitting there burning gas, which is wasting gas and contributing to an exorbitant energy bill. Also, Do pilot lights waste gas?
- Is it safe to turn off your pilot light on your gas fireplace?
- Why won't my pilot light light on my gas fireplace?
- How do you light a gas fireplace pilot?
Video answer: How to shut off gas fireplace with standing pilot
5 other answers
How to Turn Off Pilot Light on a Gas Fireplace Before you turn the switch to “off”, you should find where the pilot light is located. Knowing where the flame is located will be helpful in double-checking that it has actually been turned off. The flame may be located in the back or behind some of your logs.
Turning Off the Pilot Light. You would think that turning off the pilot light is as easy as turning the knob to the ‘off’ position. Sometimes it is, but most often you have to push the knob in and then turn it to ‘off’. Other times you will need to push a little lever out of the way so that you can turn it to ‘off’.
Once you’ve located the flame, you can switch the knob from its original “pilot” position to the “off” position. Depending on your fireplace model, you may have to push a small lever out of your way before you can turn the dial. Alternatively, you may have to push your valve in and then turn it into the “off” position.
If your fireplace is malfunctioning or you just don’t plan on using it for a while, you may want to turn off the pilot light. Luckily, this is usually a fairly straightforward process. For most fireplaces, all you will need to do is open the front of the unit to access the pilot, then turn the pilot light valve to the off position.
Turning off your gas fireplace’s pilot light can save a substantial amount of energy and money. It is important to remember that not all gas fireplaces have “standing” pilot light, or, a pilot light that is “always on”.
We've handpicked 29 related questions for you, similar to «How to turn on gas fireplace pilot light is off?» so you can surely find the answer!Should i turn off the pilot light on my gas fireplace in the summer?
Keeping your gas fireplace on in summer can help you stay comfortable on chilly nights. Even if the pilot light is turned off, the pilot tubes may still have trace amounts of gas molecules. Gas companies add mercaptan in the gas to give it a pleasant odor.Why can't i light the pilot light on my gas fireplace?
If gas is coming out of the pilot, but it still won't light, the spark igniter could be the problem. Alleyne says to look for and clear out any debris between the igniter and thermocouple… The pilot lighting, but not staying lit, indicates that the thermocouple is worn out, Worthen says.How do you clean a gas fireplace pilot light?
- The pilot light and electrical igniter should also be turned off. If the glass doors can be removed by a clip or crank then remove them and clean them with regular window spray and a paper towel. A 50% vinegar and water solution is also a good glass cleaner.
- When lighting the pilot, follow these instructions exactly. B. BEFORE LIGHTING, smell around the appliance area for gas. Be sure to smell next to the floor because some gas is heavier than air and will settle on the floor. * Do not try to light any appliance. * Do not touch any electric switch, do not use any phone in your building.
The little flame you see in your gas fireplace after you have turned it off is called a pilot light. A Standing Pilot Light runs constantly, whether your fireplace is on or off… Most of today's gas direct vent fireplaces have an innovation called intermittent pilot ignition.
Video answer: How to light a gas fireplaceWhat color should a gas fireplace pilot light be?
A pilot light on a gas-burning appliance should be blue. Another flame color, especially yellow, means the appliance's gas-to-air mixture is unsafe and needs to be checked.What kind of gas fireplace has a pilot light?
- Water heaters, gas fireplaces and old gas stoves also often have similar pilot lights. If your furnace has a round knob on the gas valve with the words OFF/ON/PILOT, you have what’s known as a standing pilot ignition.
Video answer: How to fully turn off a propane or gas fireplaceWhere is the pilot light on a gas fireplace?
Locate the gas control knob. Just above it, you should see a red or black push button, which means that the unit has a piezoelectric spark mechanism. Press the button once or twice to verify that there is a spark at the end of the pilot tube. If you don't see a button, you must light the flame manually.How do you turn on a gas pilot light?
- First, locate the pilot valve on the furnace…
- Find the gas valve and turn it to the "off" position…
- Turn the valve to the “pilot” position.
- Press and hold the reset button.
- If the reset button fails, ignite the lighter.
Steps to relight the pilot light.Turn off the gas. Locate the gas shut-off valve on your hot water heater. The knob should be clearly labelled. Turn it to the “Off” setting, then wait 5-10 minutes to make sure all the gas has cleared.
Video answer: How to light a pilot in a gas fireplaceDo you leave the pilot light on a gas fireplace?
We recommend that you turn off your gas fireplace pilot light seasonally. Turning off your gas fireplace's pilot light can save a substantial amount of energy and money. It is important to remember that not all gas fireplaces have “standing” pilot light, or, a pilot light that is “always on”.Do you need a pilot light for a gas fireplace?
- Newer generations of gas fireplaces use an electronic ignition system, requiring electricity to start up. In the event of a power outage, though, these fireplaces will work on battery back-up so you’ll stay toasty warm! Electronic ignition fireplaces save you the cost of running a pilot light 24/7, usually about $8 to $10 a month.
- With the gas on, push in and hold the pilot valve while igniting the pilot light. Once the pilot is lit, hold the pilot valve in for 60 seconds. This allows the pilot flame to heat the thermocouple attached to the log. After 60 seconds release the pilot valve and turn the log’s operating valve “on” making sure you are clear of the log.
Located in North Texas, our team can answer any queries you may have regarding your gas fireplace. How much gas does a pilot light use? Should you turn your pilot off during summers? How much gas does a pilot light require? Most pilot lights consume around 600 BTUs of gas every hour. If you leave your pilot light on for an entire day, it would roughly consume 14,400 BTU’s every day.Is it safe to keep pilot light on gas fireplace?
Generally speaking, it is safe to leave your continuous pilot light on at all times, assuming it stays lit (more on this in a moment). While it does cost more to keep your pilot light on in between uses, it can actually have some benefits to your system.Where is the pilot light located on a gas fireplace?
- If your furnace has a pilot light, you can find it by locating the gas valve and following the two smaller tubes attached to it to their termination points. To locate the pilot light on a gas furnace, you first have to remove the access cover, which usually just lifts off.
This is usually located on the front of the fireplace wall. For standard systems, you'll see two knobs: the hi/lo knob and the pilot knob. The hi/lo knob is used to adjust the flame after the pilot is lit.How big should a pilot light be on a gas fireplace?
A pilot flame should be blue with a yellow tip and strong enough to cover 1/2 inch at the end of the thermocouple tip. If the flame is too strong and adjusted wrong, it will be noisy and cause improper furnace operation.
Video answer: How to safely light your pilot on your gas fireplace, stove…How do you adjust the pilot light on a gas fireplace?
- Light the gas logs by turning the control knob to the "pilot" setting. Rotate the knob to the left and push in to allow gas to flow to the pilot light.
Hold the gas control button down while you hold the end of a lighted match or lighter at the end of the pilot tube. If you do this correctly, the pilot light should start as soon as the flame is close enough. Hold the pilot button down for about 20 seconds to give the thermocouple time to heat up, then release it.How high should the pilot light be on a gas fireplace?
A proper pilot flame should be blue with a yellow tip and should be strong enough to cover about 1/2 inch at the end of the thermocouple tip.How to light the pilot on vent free gas log fireplace?
- How To Light The Pilot On A Vent Free Gas Log Fireplace And Other Helpful Tips. Make sure your main gas supply is ON. From OFF position, turn gas control knob (reads OFF, ON & PILOT) counterclockwise to PILOT position. Push in knob (this releases the gas to the pilot area only).
A small flow of gas powers the pilot light – just enough to maintain a flame. When a pilot light goes out on a gas fireplace, there is cause for concern if the gas flow hasn't been interrupted… One thing to check is the gas valve on the fireplace and make sure it's open.Should i keep the pilot light burning on a gas fireplace?
While leaving the pilot light on may be convenient, the continuous flow of gas may pose a safety hazard. Homes with smaller children may want to consider the potential for injury before opting to keep the pilot light burning. Added to the potential hazard is the constant consumption of fuel to maintain the pilot light.Should the pilot light always be on in a gas fireplace?
Save Energy and Money
We recommend that you turn off your gas fireplace pilot light seasonally. Turning off your gas fireplace's pilot light can save a substantial amount of energy and money. It is important to remember that not all gas fireplaces have “standing” pilot light, or, a pilot light that is “always on”.