Top best answers to the question «How do you care for an electric can opener»
- Here is how to properly care for an electric can opener. Unplug the power cord to your electric can opener anytime you want to remove parts or clean the unit. Clean the cutter and the blade units regularly. Do this in hot soapy water. Be sure to handle the cutter and blade units carefully, because they are quite sharp.
- Hold the opener on the edge of the can with the pointed end down…
- Carefully press the pointed end down to puncture the lid…
- The point of the opener should puncture the lid and leave a small hole.
- If you need to pour out only liquid,you’re done.
- If you need to get food out of the can,insert the point into the hole.
- Use the point to widen the hole…
9 other answers
These can openers can last a long time as long as you properly care for them. Here is how to properly care for an electric can opener. Unplug the power cord to your electric can opener anytime you want to remove parts or clean the unit. Clean the cutter and the blade units regularly. Do this in hot soapy water.
Using wax paper to clean a manual can opener. Take a piece of wax paper and fold it 3 times, clamp the edge of the paper down with the manual can opener and start to turn the knob as if opening the can. If you do not clean your can opener often – it will surprise you how much grime you will see left on the paper.
Fix a dirty can opener by soaking it in white vinegar to loosen all the dirt and rust. Then, scrub it with a toothbrush to remove gunk from the gears. If you have an electric can opener, then detach the blade bracket and soak it in white vinegar as well. Prevent further rust buildups by using a stainless steel can opener and drying it after every use.
Never immerse the can opener, cord or plug in water or other liquids. Care and Maintenance Care and cleaning • Before cleaning any part of the can opener, unplug the cord. • To remove the blade bracket for easy cleaning, lift the blade bracket up and pull it out. The
Once you’ve washed the can opener, whether it’s with a dish brush or washcloth, always dry it. This is so your opener doesn’t rust. Electric can openers should be cleaned too. Unplug the unit and wipe the exterior parts with a damp cloth. Dry it with a paper towel or kitchen towel.
If you have an electric opener and the lever/cutting wheel is removable, (unplug the machine first! and) pop that lever-piece into a bowl of white vinegar for a soak until the gunk comes off when brushed with a toothbrush.
Once the can is open, you can lift the lever and remove the open can. Use care when removing the lid, as the edges are sharp and can cut you. Maintaining Your Can Opener
Fit one of the grooves on the stem of the can opener into the edge of the can that is now slightly raised. “See-Saw” the blade up (cutting) and down, moving around the can as you go. The edge of the can will now be rough and incredibly sharp. Be sure to not rest either hand close to the edge. Enjoy the contents of the can.
How do you clean an electric can opener? Some electric openers have removable blades that can go right in the dishwasher, while others require handwashing. Prevent gunk from accumulating in the first place by regularly wiping your can opener clean with a wet paper towel or sponge.